This week I have picked the ‘Rainmaker’
The Rainmaker is an excellent visual and auditory toy.
It can be used by the parent when the baby is about 12 weeks.
• The Rainmaker can be used to help develop a baby’s visual skills especially visual tracking skills. When your baby is lying on his back slowly move the Rainmaker from the centre of your baby’s body out to the side. (ensure you hold the Rainmaker so your baby can see the Rainmaker ) Your baby will be encouraged to follow the Rainmaker with his head and eyes and maintain interest in the toy.
• As your baby progresses to sitting the Rainmaker can be used to develop head control and trunk control. These skills are very important in helping your baby sit independently.
• The Rainmaker can be used to encourage your baby to swipe out at the Rainmaker with both hands. When your baby hits the Rainmaker he will get an auditory response so will be encouraged to attempt to swipe again and so will develop hand function skills and eye hand skills progressing to baby holding the Rainmaker and transferring between hands.
• When your baby is lying on his tummy the Rainmaker can be used to help develop neck muscles. This is very important for being able to keep head upright. Also because the Rainmaker is so visually and auditory appealing your baby will be encouraged to stay on his tummy for longer periods.
• The Rainmaker can be used to help your baby roll from side to side and then into crawling.
• The Rainmaker is an excellent toy for encouraging socialisation skills
• As a result of the visual and auditory components of the Rainmaker the toy is a great toy for developing cognitive skills as your baby will develop and maintain interest in the Rainmaker.
• At around 7-9 months the Rainmaker can be used to develop early concepts in/out, under as you the adult hides the Rainmaker under a blanket and baby retrieves.
• So we can see that as an adult if we know what a toy can offer in terms of its present and future capabilities and link this to your baby’s present developmental milestones your baby will get much benefit in terms of milestone development when playing with the toy.
• Have you any further comments regarding the benefits of the Rainmaker. I would really welcome your comments.